Monday, March 14, 2011

Who is Samantha Carter you ask? Well let me tell you








Yesterday was my first official day in my new singles ward. All the new people met in one of the classrooms and filled out a sheet with our information. After everything was said and done, we went out to the foyer to turn our papers in to the Bishop. As I'm standing in line, a lot of other members of the ward are passing by in the hall and greeting each other. I had already met a few of the ward members. I became reacquainted with some people I went to high school with, some people that my brother went to high school with and just a few other people I vaguely recognize. 

Here's the golden part of the day though. This guy walks up to me, he's wearing a pinkish tie, a dark plaidish shirt (I won't even guess the color as I am colorblind), a pocket full of pens, a scraggly goatee and big glasses. I haven't been formally introduced to this man yet, but he did catch my eye a few times during our first meeting. I don't know his name but in my mind 

I'm thinking "Okay this is Bro. Schrute."

In a slightly nasally voice (the voice you would expect)

 he asks "What is your name?"

"Mitch Carter" I reply

"Ohhh, How IS Samantha Carter doing?"

I'm thinking he's mistaking someone he thinks I'm related to or something so I say "Well, I don't know a Samantha Carter."

"Oh, I KNEW you wouldn't know her... She's not REAL."

"ummm..okay.. ha.."

"Samantha Carter, Stargate SG-1"

"OHHHHH... HAHA! Awesome"
I almost lost it, 

I'm sure if I really did start laughing hysterically he would've thought I was laughing at his joke. But the thing that I really found funny was that I get this all the time. I mean with the last name 'Carter' you wouldn't expect very many jokes about your name. 

So you get the same ones over and over. 

Like "Hey, how's Jimmy doin?" 
Or people asking if you're related to Nick or Aaron 
and sometimes you'll get 'Lil Wayne. 
But this one was a first and probably my favorite. 
Thankyou Bro. Schrute of the Singles Ward. Atleast you knew she wasn't real. 

3 comments:

  1. Can't believe you missed that connection. I'm a little sad inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I'll admit, I'm quite the geek myself.
    However when it comes to sci-fi I stick movies
    And a few select television programs.

    When you start meddling with things like
    SG-1 and Battlestar Galactica you need help.
    You need to find something better to do with
    Your Saturday afternoon. Like watch Star Wars
    Or a good super hero movie or a good 80s film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious. Welcome back to life. And welcome to a single's ward. Haha.

    ReplyDelete